Source Of Sandiacre Area Doar
- Born: Bef 1700
- Marriage: Unknown
SANDIACRE, a description from Pigot's 1835 Directory
SANDIACRE is a village, in the small parish of its name, in the same hundred as Ilkeston, about four miles, south, from that town, & about nine, east, from Derby, situate close to the western boundary of the county of Nottingham. A market and fair was formerly held in the village, but at present little importance belongs to it as a place of trade. The places of worship are, the parish church, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists: the former, which is dedicated to St. Giles, is of considerable antiquity; the windows have some remains of stained glass, and in the chancel are three stone stalls. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the prebendary of Sandiacre, in the cathedral church of Lichfield.
Part of the township of Risley extends into this parish, which contained, in 1831, 758 inhabitants.
RISLEY, a description from Pigot's 1835 Directory
RISLEY is a small village and township, partly in the parish of Sawley, and partly in that of Sandiacre, in the same hundred as Ilkeston, about four miles, south, from that town, one and a half, north, from Breason, and about seven and a half, east, from Derby.
The free-school here was erected by Mrs. Elizabeth Gray in 1718, but the principal endowment originated from Mrs. Catherine Wilson at all earlier date. The township contained, in 1831, 252 inhabitants, being only an increase of twenty-seven persons in 30 years.