John Hayball Paul
- Born: 1 Jan 1816
- Christened: 5 Feb 1816, Saint James Street-Independent, Newport, Hampshire, England 1
- Died: 1899, Camberwell, Surrey
Note that the middle names of his siblings and he (Hayball, Smith, Taylor and Nottle) are the same as the surnames of the spouses of his mother's siblings.
He went on to become a prominent medico running the Camberwell Lunatic Asylum - a web search on his name will tell the story.
Record: 1 of 1
Reference MSS.6220-6221 See this in context Previous Numbers MSS.6648-6649 Level Collection Extent 2 volumes Title Camberwell House Asylum Date 1847-1853 Name Camberwell House Asylum Description Volumes 2-3 of the case books of Camberwell House, a private lunatic asylum (metropolitan licensed house) at Camberwell, Surrey. The casebooks contain records for approximately 900 people; they are unindexed. Volume 2 contains records for people admitted 1847-1850 with further notes on the some of the same patients through 1876. Volume 3 contains admission records for 1850-1853 with further records on some of the same patients through 1887. Historical Background The asylum was founded in 1846 by John Hayball Paul (1816-1899), who was also medical superintendent, 1846-99. Paul entered into partnership with F.G. Aubin and Alfred Richards as Aubin & Co., this firm being the official owner of the asylum at one period. During the span of these case books the asylum admitted mainly pauper patients. It closed in 1955. For further historical background see N.B. Hervey, "The Lunacy Commission 1845-60, with special reference to ... Kent and Surrey", University of Bristol PhD thesis, 1987, Vol. 2, pp. 155-56, 173, 111-12. Custodial History Formerly in the collection of Dr R.A. Hunter. Acquisition Details Purchased from R D Gurney Ltd, 1981 (acc. 334939). Accession Number 334939